Tuesday, May 6, 2014

IMATS vs The Makeup Show (TMS)


This year was the first year I attended IMATS and TMS, both in NYC. I did a lot of research to find out what to expect, how to maximize my experience, and what sorts of discounts there were. I was also interested to know ahead of time what were the differences. In case anyone is interested, here are some thoughts on IMATS vs TMS.

1. TMS is pro-only and IMATS is open to the public. IMATS does do a pro night on the Friday preceding the show, so pros do have early access to most products. But TMS does not allow entry to non-pros unless you are the guest of a pro. As a result, there is more focus on networking and learning at TMS. There are also plenty of opportunities at TMS to enroll in pro programs if you bring the right documentation. It's worth finding out ahead of time what you need to bring, by looking at each vendor's pro website.

2. There were more youtubers and photo/autograph opportunities at IMATS than at TMS.

3. IMATS NY was a bigger venue and probably had way more people than TMS. But, TMS almost felt more crowded to me because it was a smaller venue. The first half of the day at TMS was really crowded and tough to navigate.

4. There are lines at both. Both shows had a line forming outside the venue prior to opening. The IMATS line was longer, presumably because it is a larger event. The TMS line moved more quickly than the IMATS line. Next time I go to TMS, I will show up on time, but not early because there's really no point. It's a matter of getting in at 9am vs 9:15am. At IMATS, however, the line does move quickly but it took my 45 minutes to get in, even though I arrived 30 minutes prior to door opening. So I would advise getting there early for IMATS, especially if there is a hot brand/product you are interested in.

Once inside, the lines at IMATS were more to see product and then purchase, whereas the lines at TMS were to pay for the product. For instance, at MAC at TMS, it was pretty easy to find someone to pull your products for you, but then you had to wait in a line, for up to an hour, to pay for the products. At Limecrime at IMATS, on the other hand, you had to stand in line in order to get to the display to even see the product and then pay for it.

5. The discounts at each depend on the vendor but in general are better at TMS.

6. The vendors are somewhat different. There was some overlap: OCC, Frend's, Nigel's, Alcone, Eve Pearl, Stila, Veil, Wayne Goss, Hakuhodo, just to name a few. But IMATS had some that TMS did not have: Limecrime, Sigma, and Sugarpill. And TMS had a bunch that IMATS did not have: Surratt, Kevyn Aucoin, Mac, Nars, Ellis Faas, Ardency Inn, ABH, to name a few.

7. IMATS seems to have a better vendor list in LA than in NY, whereas TMS NY has at least as good, if not better, vendor list in NY as they do in LA. So if you're deciding between NY and LA, definitely compare the list of vendors at each.

In the end, I'm really glad I went to both, and my decision to go next year will probably be based on the vendor lists of each show. Sorry this post has no pics - I'm planning to post my IMATS experience and my TMS experience as well as hauls in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment